Hardin Water Tower

Hardin-Central School

Christian Church

Hardin First Baptist Church

101 NE 1st Street
Hardin First Baptist ChurchHardin, MO 64035
(660) 398-4386

Pastor: Chris Cox
Secretary/Treasurer: Tammy Cox

Service Times

Sunday
Sunday School – 9:45a.m.
Morning Worship – 10:45a.m.
Evening Study – 6:00p.m. (Summer only) Rest of the year 5:15p.m.

Wednesday
Choir Rehearsal – 6:00p.m.
Bible Study/Prayer Meeting – 7:00p.m


Church History

Baptists held their first services in the vicinity of Hardin in the winter of 1815, under the leadership of Bro. Finis Clark. These services were held in the log hut of Isaac Martin near the site of the present Wabash Bridge. Bro. Turnage was the first regular Baptist preacher in the community. He began preaching in 1816.

A church known as the Walnut Grove Community Church was organized between 1850 and 1859. It was built on an acre of ground bought from Scyrena and J. H. Snowden on the south side of the present Hardin Cemetery. Trustees were W. B. Hughes and A. T. Boggess. Several denominations worshipped there. Among the Baptist preachers were Bro. Beason and Bro. Spurlock. It is believed that no services were held there after 1888.

On August 23, 1886 land was bought in Hardin on East Elm Street from Florence and Andrew Rinquist for $120.00 for a Baptist Church. The trustees were: Thomas Porterfield, H. C. Boggess and W. B. Merrifield. This church was built in 1887. Bro. S. M. Brown preached the dedicatory sermon and Bro. Charles N. Crouch was the first pastor, called in June 1887.

A Sunday School was organized in 1888, a Missionary Society in 1895 and a Training Union in 1926. A parsonage was built in 1925.

Mrs. lye Lentz was church clerk, Mrs. J. E. Wood was a teacher during the early years and Dr. William McGrew was Sunday School superintendent from 1890 to 1902.

In 1946, Mr. and Mrs. W. A. Rhodes presented five lots on Main Street to the church, on which to build a new church, or to move the old church and remodel. On April 27, 1947, Mr. S. D. Thomas, the senior deacon, turned the first shovel of dirt at the groundbreaking ceremony. By May 1947 the basement was completed and the church moved. The auditorium was enlarged, a new educational wing added and the whole building brick veneered. The first services in the new auditorium were held in April 1948. The debt on the building was retired in March 1951 and the dedicatory service was May 30, 1951.

Excavation under the new educational building added two rooms for the Junior department in 1960.

Mr. and Mrs. W. A. Rhodes presented a new piano to the church. A new organ was purchased in 1957 and Mr. and Mrs. D. A. Myers gave new pulpit furniture to the church in memory of their daughter Doris. Mrs. D. A. Whitmer gave chimes in memory of her husband and daughter, D. A. Whitmer and Eulalah. New upholstered pews were added in 1968.

In 1949, a group from the Hardin Baptist Church started a Sunday School at the Mt. Pleasant Church. This church had not been used for a number of years. From this beginning, the church has been reorganized and now has services each Sunday with a regular pastor.

In 1961, the Hardin Baptist Church and the Henrietta Baptist Church united to co-sponsor the Missouri City Mission. In 1969 this mission became an organized church. They have a new church building and are now self— supporting.

We have records of six young men who have entered the ministry from the Hardin Baptist Church. They are: Harry Moore, C.V. Day, Oz Quick, M. C. Wright, Jr., Paul Douglas and Bennie Early. Oz and Mary Quick are now missionaries in Taiwan.

Source: Hardin, Missouri: A Centennial History (1870-1970)