Hardin Water Tower

Hardin-Central School

Christian Church

Hardin Christian Church

Hardin Christian Church

202 South 3rd Street

Hardin, MO 64035

Pastor: Jimmy Gilbow

Service Times

Sunday
Sunday School – 9:45a.m.
Morning Worship – 10:45a.m.


Church History

Services were first held in a building constructed August 1, 1891 by Mr. and Mrs. Maples and others on a plot of ground called Scott Acre on the east side of the present Seward Grove.

Later services were held in the Baptist Church on Elm Street one Sunday a month. The first pastor was Claude Taylor. The Christian Church was organized in 1902. The trustees, S. C. Robinson and J. S. Cruse had the building moved from Scott Acre to the present site. The Ladies Aid organized. Mrs. Myra Bales was president. The remodeling of the building began. Mrs. G. M. Tinsley, Mrs. Eli Frazier, Mrs. John Shackelford and Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Suter were the leaders. A vestibule, two Sunday school rooms, new doors and windows were added. Mrs. Eli Frazier, Sunday school superintendent and Mrs. Joe Stapp, next president of the Ladies Aid had a baptistery built. George M. Tinsley had charge of most of the work.

A Ladies Council was later organized. Mrs. James Bryden was president. The first full time pastor was Rev. E. V. Galloway. Mr. and Mrs. Z. A. Beery were the last of the charter members. Their children provided communion chairs as a tribute to their memory. The communion service and the preparation for it was just one of the many faithful services rendered by Mr. and Mrs. Beery.

A parsonage was built July 1, 1946 adjoining the church. Mr. and Mrs. Tom Mason gave part of the ground. Rev, and Mrs. Elburn Moore served the church. Rev, and Mrs. J. Morgan Derr came in November 1952 but he lived only one year. His wife presented a cross and candles in his memory. E. P. Legg, member of the Richmond Christian Church, has served in place of a minister many Sundays. On December 14, 1953 Rev. and Mrs. John Armstrong began their seven years’ service to the church. Many improvements were made. Funds were derived from the annual Sportsman dinners and many other community dinners. The remodeled building was dedicated. The first wedding in the church was on September 4, 1955 uniting in marriage two young members, Miss Kitty Sue Marshall and Elvin Dean Blankenship.

Elmore Marshall presented a building plan to the church in 1962. Members and friends added Sunday School rooms. On May 15, 1963 a tornado damaged the building. Again improvements were made. Rev. James Crider was the minister for seven years, commuting from Prairie Village, Kansas.

Source: Hardin, Missouri: A Centennial History (1870-1970)